Monday, January 16, 2006

i'm a blogging addict

okay, so, in the spirit of procrastination, after i got home from tristan and isolde (more on that maybe later), instead of finishing my stunning-ly interesting speal on communication technology, i was reading the blogs that were posted on the class web site. the common consensus seems to be that blogging is a terribly self-aggrandizing hobby. the perplexing part...i did not even think of that! how impossibly self-absorbed does one have to be to a) write a blog, b) assume other people will read it, and c) other people will find some amusement in it. i would write more on this, but i keep staring at my own face in my mirror. so smooth and freckly...

here goes: my defense.

i spent a year abroad. belgium. the land of beer. as pictured below. this was an especially fancy brand. and by fancy i mean about two euros fifty cents. the hilarity: its called Kwak because of the glass it is served in. if you were to down this beer quickly, the air lodged in the bottom would "kwak" (air escaping) and explode the beer directly onto your face. you would only attempt this once yourself. but you would try to get every new friend you had to attempt it as often as the opprotunity presented itself.


back to the point of all of this. both sending and recieving mass group emails got my last nerve. very impersonal. i felt like i had no choice but to recieve them (a girl in edinburgh used to write ones that were 4mgs). i always felt like a blog was more pro-choice. people can read if they are interested, or not read, if they are not. that worked. i could read about the people i was interested in. and i could oh so blissfully ignore the girl who bombarded my inbox with mpeg's of her and boys i didn't know smiling drunkenly.

so i suppose that is the view of blogging that i keep with me. i consider it largely a way for my out-of-town friends to keep tabs on me--how i am keeping busy, who's pissing me off, and what makes me happy (that would be a whole new blog). now, i am just hoping it ain't too annoying.

3 comments:

Leader of the Argonauts said...

Mark Twain once said Wagner is not as bad as it sounds....is it, Allison? Just kidding :P BTW: I really like the way you incorportaed graphics into your blog; it looks nice indeed.

Fitz said...

I think I was just totally scarred by reading too many bad livejournal posts ("We're in love. We broke up. We're back in love. Should we break up before going to college?")

After reading our class blogs (and, I admit, setting up my own), I think I have a broader definition of what constitutes blogging and more appreciation for it.

Learning something in school - oh my!

susan said...

I too have wondered about blogging/group emails ... but, for me, it is more along the lines of self-censorship (a la Sofie!). With a group email, at least you have the illusion that you know who will be reading your note. Does it change what you write if you know that anyone can easily access your words?