Friday, June 16, 2006

unbelieveable

you'll have to forgive me for not posting so often. i've done something stupid. i broke my f'n keyboard. now, you may be thinking to yourself, if the keyboard is broken, how is she typing? well. its not completely broken. indeed, its barely broken.

let me tell you the story. my "r" key was giving me a bit of trouble. so, as usual, i pried it off to clean out the dust. (once, i was having the same problem and did the same thing, to find a finger nail clipping underneath. how's that for gross?) but, this time, i broke this miniscule little plastic square that caused the spring motion of the key. so, i called Gateway. i figured they'd just tell me where i could get a new little plastic square. but no. i have to buy a whole new keyboard.

i figured i could avoid the whole mess by heading to the computer district (college and spadina). but, alas, all the vendors were disinclined to break the manufacturer's mandate.

i was stuck.

so i decided to fix it myself. you know, throw a lesser used key on the "r" button. i mean, i would know its really an r. but of course, this experiment just led me to breaking another key. and then another, when i tried it for the third time. i figured if i was going to be forced into buying a new keyboard, i was going to make it worth my while.

so, right now, my keyboard is missing three keys. technically, they still work if i wedge my fingernail onto the little sensitive thingy. but its a pain in the ass.

i ordered the new keyboard. and its going to cost me $90.00. all for the want of a little teeny tiny platic square.

No comments: