Monday, July 17, 2006

when i should working, i am reading...

i spend a lot of time browsing the internet. i work from home. what can i say? my reward for doing a good half hours work is to read a blog. i set up a bloglines account, which i thought would streamline my blog reading, but i found that i missed reading blogs in their natural environment. every blogger creates their own space and somehow, it makes a difference. (if you've not seen bloglines, its basically just a text file. not pretty.) because these blogs are essential to amusing me during the day (when my boyfriend and room mates are not home to amuse), i thought i would share my favourite ones. now, these are not the blogs of my friends. those are my favourites, of course of course of course. i mean, i check those everyday. and not just because i might be mentionned, but because, my friends are creative, hilarious, good people. even my mom keeps a blog (she's "A Bowmanvillain Abroad," in the links section there to the right). and i love that too, because as i've grown up, as i think is rather normal, i've realized that my mom is not just my mom, but also...ready?...her own person. you don't really get to see that as a kid, but, as an adult, i love getting that little look into her life. plus, she lives in england, so she has some really great stories.

so, here's my favourites (but in no particular order):

I am, therefore I date: written by a young woman in new york. i started reading way back when she was just a single girl having a whole lotta fun, now, she's leaving new york for washington. a new job, a new boyfriend, a new future. this process (though she doesn't write as often as she used to) is something that is especially interesting to me. how often do you get to hear about this? as young women who value our careers and our friends, it is often difficult to navigate the role we want our significant others to play in our priorities. roxy naviagtes these with us, setting an example that is very human. i enjoy reading...even if the sex has almost disappeared!

Why don't we get drunk and blog?: i am about to betray my gender...i think boys are funnier than girls. i think male comedians are funny. I think female comedians are not. of course, there are exceptions (myself? absolutely!). but for the most part, boys seem to be the ones who can make me pee my pants a little from laughing so hard. i have a very strong background in hilarious male friends (as well as a very amusing boyfriend and little brother). so, i mean, my bar is set pretty high. but dave, who exists for me only as "some guy," is hilarious. and so, since i like hilarious, and although this blog is fairly new to me, i am still really enjoying it.

Spendqueen: okay, this is as close as i get to knowing someone that i am writing about here. she's a friend of a friend. and honestly, she's someone that i hate to love. superficially, her and i are many many miles apart (for instance, she's buying a half million dollar condo...i'm buying microwave popcorn and calling it dinner. okay, not really, but you know what i mean). but every once in a while, she writes in such a vulnerable, yet clever, manner, that i keep on coming back.

This Fish: some blogs i read because they are funny, some blogs i read because i think their life and their choices are interesting, and some blogs i read because they are well-written. my mom calls me a snob, but really, i can read something that is poorly written with a great story and something that is well written but has a poor story. if it has both, i'll treasure and love it forever. hence, i love this blog. (but not as much as the book thief. huh. it says this book is for young readers. i am shocked. its quite detailed. shall i say sophisticated?) heather writes about her life: unlike some others, she doesn't have a gimmick. she keeps readers coming back (and boy does she have readers!) because, well, for all the stuff i just said.

No Sex and the City: as much as i just disparaged gimmicks, this one, though based on such, is one that i approve of. its the only blog i read that is written by more than one person. can you guess? its written by not charlotte, not carrie, not samantha, and not miranda. see? good gimmick. why go to four different blogs, when i can get four at once?

now, of course, i also read the celebrity blogs. and i say of course, because if you have met me once, and this is not something i am proud of, but you'll know. probably because i have said this, "oh, i read somewhere..." which really means "on the superficial today..." its not a very difficult code, but it still makes me feel a little bit like how i think a master's student should feel.

No comments: