Tuesday, November 28, 2006

a belgian secret


Okay, so, after showing Court the other day my buttonhole book, and to very little praise, might I add, I've decided to post pictures of the second type of binding that I learned a few weekends ago. Above are two examples of "Secret Belgian Binding" that I've made at home the past week. I've pretty much created a monster, and if you ask, I will not admit the total monetary investment that I have made in my new hobby.

Now, the story behind the name is much less elusive than the name suggests (some librarian at some large library found an example of this type of binding in some basement box and, realizing it was from Belgium, said something along the lines of 'oh, you know those Belgians and their secrets,' as if this is some kind of known fact), this binding produces a simple and sturdy little book. I used chiogami paper for the cover of the smaller book and Japanese tissue paper for the cover of the larger. Both are bound with waxed linen thread. Each has eight leaves, are blank, and would be good for writing. Well, that's just my opinion.

I'm pretty proud of these little mofos. Please act surprised on Christmas.

3 comments:

Court said...

Bah, I am sorry I did not show slightly more exuberance towards the little book you bound with your very own hands, and of course my Kinkos snipes ;)

That being said, the sample picture of this type of binding looks quite nice and I will be sure to lavish you with praise this time around.

All kidding aside Alli, I am sure if I actually understood the difficulty in making these I would appreciate it much more.

h. said...

I think your books are absolutely beautiful...based on that one two-dimensional photo.

Tasha said...

Dude, your books are SO cool. Too bad you didn't bring them to Heather's the other night, I would like to see them in person.