Monday, December 04, 2006

so, seeing as how my new hobby is book binding, I though I had better start attending the shows. Absolutely I spent part of my Sunday wandering around OCAD, looking at various books as art. Now, see, the thing is, I like books first and art second. What this means is that the book needs to be first an excellent example of technical skills (ex. excellent sewing, symmetry, solid construction) and less about, oh, odd materials and bizarre lay outs. For example, I love Robert Wu's work. The man says that it takes him about three months to make a single volume. Now, that is skill and dedication and it shows in the incredible works that he creates. And I would still consider his works works of art, despite not being made of plastic, or having weird cut outs, or oddly stitched spines. I did however come across several neat ideas, which I hope to put to use ASAP.

Actually, this weekend was great. Mike and Ciara are home for the holidays, and, after not seeing them for over a year, well, it felt really great to wander around Toronto with them. There is nothing like having good friends see where you exist to a) make it seem like no time has passed at all and b) excite you about your own life again. Several things that I have begun to take for granted were all made new with their enthusiasm. Plus, after a good afternoon chat, we headed down to Queen St. for some shopping, and, of course, ran into another good friend from undergrad. What are the chances? So, Becky, if you're reading this, send me a fricking email, cause you sure didn't call like you said you would. Besides, you can't show up with a handsome man and expect me not to ask questions and want answers, two years having passed or not.

No comments: