Friday, December 15, 2006

I went to an SLA (Special Libraries Association) Christmas Party munchies thing last night. I won my ticket by correctly answering who was going to be the president-elect in the upcoming year...you know, because I can google with the best of them. I won this weeks ago, long before I knew just exactly how busy these middle days of December were going to be. But, after the auction, Mike Mac was going, and that terrible sense of responsibility (I mean, someone else who wanted to could have gone, right, if I didn't?) would not just let me go home to watch the second part of The Lost Room. Actually, I'm really glad I went. My practicum supervisor, Frank, was there, and it was really nice to see him in a social situation. Also, he turns out to have a wicked wit. I spent my time observing the general meeting, barely retraining myself from laughing. See, this very large, very brightly dressed woman, started the meeting standing up against the wall. Everyone was sorta leaning up against a wall, or sitting in one of the few chairs, because, for some reason, the middle of the room was empty. Just carpet, no chairs. (Yes, I just sat down at the back. Being young and all.) But this one woman, who was already blocking the view of the people behind her, kept, I don't know...spreading out as the meeting went on. First, I could see three quarters of the front. Then, half, and then...yeah, I just nursed my water. But after, Frank just said, "would it have been rude to offer her my seat?" Sometimes you never know what you're going to get when you see your supervisors outside of work...I wish I had known earlier!

The auction went surprisingly well. Although the turn out was probably not what they were hoping for, we did manage to raise over $500. Which is nice for the kids and all, but really, I was fine with it after my book sold for $15.00. Mom had to go and rain on my parade and mention that really, it took longer than 3/4 of an hour to make, and considering my wage at my real job...all in all, it means I won't be quitting the commons any time soon.

Also, I'm sick. So if you see me today and happen to notice that I clearly slept on this ponytail and am talking like a deaf person, please blame it on the sore throat.

1 comment:

Court said...

Glad the auction went somewhat well, and that your book banked $15 large! Make sure you use your cold to your advantage at the desk today, get other people to work the front and if you have to, start hacking and coughing and people will steer clear!