Wednesday, March 22, 2006

not single but perhaps a little funny

as per my last post, about the correlation between being single and being funny, we joked about it at work tonight and came to the sad conclusion: once you're paired off, you are no longer fun.

actually, i completely disagree with this statement. i mean, i like to consider myself a teensy tiny bit fun. can i prove it myself with an example? i think you might just have to trust me.

sometimes, i do feel like my life is fuller (more full?) when i am single. i have time for endless coffees, extra curricular courses, shopping trips, work outs, etc. i don't have a steady date on weekend nights (or both nights if i get really lucky) and i don't have that other person about whom i think about perhaps even more than i think about myself. i somehow see every movie that i wanted to see, keep up with my correspondance, and read five books a week. it makes for a very content (albeit a little selfish) life.

but when i do have that special other person, like now, i spend a lot of that free time with him. i choose to. and i find that the contentment that i had when i was single becomes a new and different kind of content-ness. i wouldn't change a thing about it. so, although i am sure you'd love to hear all about the sappiness that is my relationship (seriously...its been over a year...and though there has been ups and downs, i still find myself in moments of incredible smitten-ny, love-ness), its really not that fun for anyone but us. and, all of a sudden, instead of documenting my own exploits, freely, i would be detailing 'ours,' perhaps without his permission or without his endorsement. i hate the idea of having something exist that he would not want to read or see and i like to believe that i would not do such a thing.

after all, this is not a private journal. its a public vehicle in a public forum. i know this. and so i have to take responsibilty for it. sometimes its hard to retain its scope, hard to keep in mind who is reading it and why. but mostly, i think its fun. i love that my aunt's read it, i love that my grandma reads it, i love that my mom reads it. (i also love that my mom has started her own...its much more beautiful than mine.) i love that my friends read it. i love that jarrod reads it. but only as it exists. personal, but not private. instead, i will continue to document my life, in little spurts, with things that i think are funny. or amusing. or clever. or stupid. i have a whole lot of stupid. like tonight when i realized tonight, halfway home, that i forgot my wallet in the inforum. seriously, if my head wasn't attached.

3 comments:

Ms. McKeegan's Blog said...

"Smug Married" - Bridget Jones.

Ms. McKeegan's Blog said...

Wait, wait -- your grandma reads this? Wow...I have given my brothers, sisters and random people in bars my blog address but I have made my dad promise to never read it.

al said...

i doubt she reads the comments...i think its more of a situation wherein my aunt prints it off. so yes, this thing might exist somewhere in hard copy. condemned for life.

or, probably not.